Unsupported Browser
Please try one of the following browsers for a better experience when visiting our website.
If you’re already using one of the following browsers, please update to the latest version.
Google Chrome
Microsoft Edge
Mozilla Firefox

Disclaimer: If you access our website with Internet Explorer,
pages may display poorly, and features may not function as intended.

Riverside County Assessor-County Clerk-Recorder logo


Is there a tax on Racehorses?

Yes, each year you will receive an Annual Racehorse Tax Return (Form 571-J) which includes detailed characteristics and earnings for each horse owned (Revenue and Taxation Code, 5701-5720.5).

Please note that you are required to compute the tax liability and submit the form and taxes by February 15 to the Riverside County Tax Collector-Treasurer, P.O. Box 12005, Riverside, CA 92502-2205, or penalties will result.

If you own property that boards racehorses, you must file the “Annual Report of Boarded Racehorses” (Form 571-J1).  This forms must be completed by January 10 and submitted to the Riverside County Assessor-County Clerk-Recorder, PO Box 1240 Riverside, CA 92502-1240.

Contact Information

If you would like more Racehorse-tax bill information, please call the County Tax Collector's 24-hour, automated information line or visit their website.

Other Sources