Unsupported Browser
Please try one of the following browsers for a better experience when visiting our website.
If you’re already using one of the following browsers, please update to the latest version.
Google Chrome
Microsoft Edge
Mozilla Firefox

Disclaimer: If you access our website with Internet Explorer,
pages may display poorly, and features may not function as intended.

Riverside County Assessor-County Clerk-Recorder logo

Homestead Declaration

NOTE: The Assessor-County Clerk-Recorder has no authority or responsibility over the Declaration of Homestead program but have provided some general information below.

What is the Homestead Declaration?

If you own a home, this program may protect your home equity from judgments, liens, and creditors.  The property must be your principal place of residence and you can only have one declaration at a time.

If you are ordered to sell your home to satisfy a court judgment, here are the amounts of equity that may be protected:

  • $75,000 for single homeowners
  • $100,000 for families
  • $175,000 for seniors, disabled, and low-income propietors

A Homestead Declaration will not prevent foreclosure by a lender, mechanic's liens, seizure and sale for back taxes, or to avoid paying child support or alimony.

Am I Required to File?

No, the Homestead Declaration is a voluntary legal protection afforded to homeowners.

How can I file?

The Homestead Declaration must be recorded with the County Recorder to be valid.

For more information about the Homestead Declaration and information on Low-Income Exemptions, please contact your legal adviser, or refer to the  California Code of Civil Procedure, Sections 704.710-704.850 and 704.910-704.995.